My name is Dan Cosley. I'm a guitarist, composer, and dedicated teacher, offering lessons at my private studio in Northwest Portland (Alphabet/Pearl District).
(Hear/see me play.)
My passions are music-making and guiding others (total beginners through professionals) on the path to creative-fulfillment through music.
Offering lessons in classical, acoustic, and electric guitar, bass, ukulele, keyboard, improvisation, music theory, composition, songwriting & arranging.
My lessons are relaxed, but focused. We’ll explore songs and pieces by your favorite musicians, technique, and music fundamentals. The emphasis will be on learning to play by playing!
- Nearly 20 years of teaching experience, including university positions.
- Performances with the world's leading guitarists including Marc Ribot, Roland Dyens, and Chris Broderick.
- Dual Master's degree in guitar performance and composition, Lamont School of Music, University of Denver. Teaching Assistant to Ricardo Izanola & Ricardo Iznaola Scholarship recipient.
- Composition & performance studies with Samuel Adler (Chair of Juilliard Composition Department), and Ian Underwood (Frank Zappa)
- Performances in Europe, Asia, and the United States.
- Lived in Tokyo, Japan for 5 years. Recorded, arranged, and wrote articles for Asia’s leading classical guitar label/magazine, Gendai Guitar.
- Author of 8 books and numerous articles. Publishers: Les Productions d'OZ (Canada) and Gendai Guitar (Japan).
Click here for a more complete bio.