My name is Dan Cosley. I'm a guitarist, composer, and dedicated teacher, offering lessons at my private studio in Northwest Portland (Alphabet/Pearl District).
(Hear/see me play.)
My passion is music, and guiding others (total beginners through aspiring-professionals) on the path to creative-fulfillment through music. My focus is on choosing inspiring pieces, establishing effective practice habits & efficient technique, and creating a welcoming atmosphere for creative risk-taking & experimentation.
Explore classical, acoustic, and electric guitar, bass, ukulele, keyboard, improvisation, music theory, composition, songwriting & arranging.
Total beginners through aspiring-professionals, and all ages welcome.
My lessons are relaxed, but focused. We’ll explore songs and pieces by your favorite musicians, technique, and music fundamentals. The emphasis will be on learning to play by playing.
- Professor of Music at Marylhurst University.
- Instructor of classical and jazz guitar at Portland Community College.
- Master's degree in guitar performance and composition, teaching assistantships in guitar, jazz, and music history. University of Denver.
- Over 15 years of teaching experience, including university positions.
- Worked in Tokyo, Japan for 5 years as a guitarist, composer, and teacher.
- Performances as a classical and electric guitarist in Europe, Asia, and the United States.
- First foreign-born guitarist elected to the Japan Guitar Ensemble Association's board of directors.
- Published composer and arranger. Compositions and arrangements by Canadian publisher Les Productions d'OZ and Japanese publisher Gendai Guitar.
Click here for a more complete bio.