My name is Dan Cosley and NWPGL is my teaching studio. I'm a guitarist, composer and dedicated teacher. I strive to create a welcoming and fun learning environment that fosters versatile and creatively-fulfilled musicians.
NWPGL offers instruction in classical, acoustic and electric guitar, bass, piano, improvisation, music theory, composition, songwriting and arranging. Lessons in Finale and Sibelius software are also available.
MY TEACHING APPROACH:
- My lessons are relaxed and fun, but focused. If you take lessons from me, you will learn about technique and theory, but always in relation to songs and pieces by your favorite musicians. Similar to how we learn our mother tongue as children, the emphasis should be on learning to play by playing.
- Master's Degree in Guitar Performance, Teaching Assistantships in Guitar and Music History. University of Denver.
- Currently Director of Guitar Studies at Marylhurst University.
- Currently an instructor of guitar at Portland Community College.
- 16 years of professional teaching experience, including university positions.
- Worked in Tokyo, Japan for 5 years as a professional guitarist, composer, and teacher.
- Performances as a classical and electric guitarist in Europe, Asia, and the United States.
- Published composer and arranger. My pieces are available through Canadian publisher Les Productions d'OZ and Japanese publisher Gendai Guitar.
- First foreign-born guitarist elected to the Japan Guitar Ensemble Association's board of directors.
- Active internationally as a professional performer, composer, improviser and teacher.
Please contact me with any questions!